We get lots of questions about our de-spooking clinics. Here are some of the most frequently asked that we can answer for you.
What time does the clinic start?
- The clinic begins promptly at 9am. Please arrive early (between 7:30 and 8:30) for trailer parking and registration.
What time does the clinic end?
- The clinic begins at 9 am and ends each day around 4:30pm give or take.
Will my GPS get me to Free Spirit Farm?
- Yes…mostly… we are an odd # on the even side of the street. So, if you’re looking at street numbers and it looks like we’re on the right, we’re on the left and vice versa. Google Maps GPS will get you here. Our driveway goes behind the house that looks like a church.
- The address is 187 Siloam Road, Freehold NJ 07728.
What level rider do you have to be to participate?
- We have riders of all levels participate in the clinic. The clinic is done at the walk. While riders are encouraged to ride the whole thing they may lead the horse in certain situations.
Is there an age requirement?
- There is no minimum or maximum age requirement. As long as the individual has basic riding skills, they are welcome.
What happens if I’m too scared to ride?
- To get the most of of the clinic it is best for the participant to ride their horse. In special cases the clinician or clinicians assistant may get on the horse briefly. This is a place for learning and an environment to challenge yourself, but you are the only one who knows your limits.
- Riders are available for hire but advanced notice is required and there is no guarantee a rider with be available. Please email [email protected]. The fee for a rider is $150/day.
Can I bring a friend? Can my friend ride my horse?
- Friends/grooms/assistants are welcome. If they plan to audit please have them register so we have a head count for food planning purposes. The auditor fee is $30/day. If they’re coming for moral support please give us a heads up and we suggest a $10 “donation” to the food fund.
- If you think you might need a back up rider that is ok too. We ask that you have them audit the course and sign the appropriate waivers at registration.
What is the format of the de-spooking clinic?
- The clinic is a combination of classroom learning and riding. Each day begins with a classroom session and then riding afterwards. The first day also features a round pen session after the classroom. There is a lunch break and rest/water breaks.
Is the clinic rain or shine?
- Yes. The clinic is held rain or shine. There is no rain date. No weather has stopped us yet! Free Spirit Farm features a 100’x 160′ covered arena to shield participants from the elements.
What paperwork do I need?
- You will be asked to sign the appropriate waivers and registration forms the morning of the first day of the clinic.
- Please provide your horse’s Coggins and shot record.
My horse is sleeping over. What do I need to know? Do you have indoor stables? Can I trailer in the night before?
- We do our best to accommodate all of our clinic participants however, we are limited to outdoor paddocks and we will prioritize guests who are attending from outside a reasonable trailering distance.
- You are responsible for feeding your horse. Bring their hay and grain with you.
- You will be responsible for bringing your horse’s feed bucket and for mucking your horse’s paddock. please pick up all manure and wasted hay. Rakes and wheelbarrows will be provided.
- Free Spirit Farm offers outdoor paddocks with run-ins as overnight accommodations for horses (sorry humans, you’re on your own). Each horse will be housed separately unless requested by owner. If you are participating with a friend and you would like your horse friends to room together please let us know, and we would be happy to do our best to accommodate.
- You are welcome to trailer your horse in the Friday before the clinic for an additional $25. Please select 2 night stay when completing the registration form. We also ask that you arrive after 4:30pm on Friday.
Trailering…Will my trailer fit? Will there be help parking my trailer? OMG WILL I HAVE TO BACK UP?!?!?! 🙂 😛
- Trailer parking is very much an art form at Free Spirit Farm. But do not fear! We will have experienced help available that will direct you for parking. We will have someone meet you in our driveway to direct you to park. Please be prepared to tell them if you are staying over night, dropping the trailer or taking your horse home overnight, as this will help determine where you park. We are a small family run farm so we ask for your patience and we will be as accommodating as possible. We have a long driveway so please pull ahead to make sure any other arriving trailers can get off the road.
- If you are not confident in parking your trailer yourself we can have someone park it for you! and if you want to try everyone here is patient and supportive!
Are there trailer hook ups?
- We do not have trailer hookups for trailers with living quarters but if you’re ok with roughing it you are more than welcome to camp out.
Food is included. What does that mean?
- Breakfast and lunch is included in the clinic fee.
- Breakfast is usually coffee, tea and donuts and bagels. Think continental breakfast.
- Lunch is hot food, if you have dietary restrictions please note them on your registration form.
Are there local hotels?
- Yes there are a few local hotels if you are traveling a distance.
The Radisson Hotel Freehold
50 Gibson Pl, Freehold Township, NJ 07728
Hotel class: 3 stars
The American Hotel
Address: 18 E Main St #20, Freehold, NJ 07728
Hotel class: 3 stars